Sunday, February 11, 2018

ED 308 Design Blog Entry 3: Community and Collaboration

For collaboration, my course will have two wikis.  The first wiki will be for writing a story.  This will connect with the narrative writing standards.  This is not easy to do.  In our intermediate reading class, we did this activity during class.  It was not very coherent.  This story writing wiki will run the length of the course which should allow time for a cohesive story to develop.

The second wiki will be for researching cities and town in Alabama.  This will build in subject integration between researching, writing, and social studies.  Informational is the key term that connects the wiki with the reading and writing standards.

I have discussion boards and blogs planned.  I have planned to use these for assessing students writing and comprehension.  The discussion boards for answering questions about plot, theme, setting, character development, etc.  The blog is for the students to express their opinion about the book they are reading.  I don't know if I want to add responses to either.  Maybe it should depend on the question!

I looked at my post from last week.  I think I really need to add an introduction discussion board.  I think that we will have a debate wiki on book vs. movie.  In both cases the question or prompt will go like this:  I think or I like . . . because . . .

1 comment:

  1. Hey Samantha,

    Do make sure you add an introduction board. A lot of the research shows that having a good, no stakes introduction board allows students to begin to feel each other out and essentially set up a learning community. If they don't build trust early on, they won't talk in the larger discussions.

    Also, having an easy discussion board early ensures that they know how to use the technology for later on when it really matters.

    ReplyDelete