Friday, February 16, 2018

Design Blog Entry 4: Engagement

The students will have two introduction boards.  I have three topics to choose from--favorite book, movie, and place visited in Alabama.  We are going to have an opinion blog to write about whether the student liked the book or not and why.  There are going to be two modules that will compare book vs. movie for the book assigned in the module.   Lastly, there will be the Which Was Better wiki.  This wiki is meant to be broader in scope--which is better the original books or the movies made from them.  Each one of these is intended for each student to express their preferences and opinions.  There is nothing like talking about ourselves.

We are going to have the Write Me a Story wiki.  There will be a module where the student will be able to choose from the reading list.  Both of these are intended to provide students with choice.  The story writing wiki will not have a prompt to it.  It is to be completely student moderated, creative, and collaborative.  

The potential problem is that this course is for 4th graders.  I hope that they will really discuss which is better or why they did or did not like a book.  I hope that writing/communicating about their preferences and opinions will be engaging to them.

I had an Aha moment!  There will be two introduction boards.  I will use favorite book and movie for one discussion board!  I do not have to choose!




3 comments:

  1. I think your discussion boards and wikis are a great idea! And my experience as a substitute taught me a few things about 4th graders- they are more tech savvy than any adult and they love to talk about themselves or how they feel about something. I think that they will respond really well to an opinion discussion board. I do not think that you can get more engaging for that age group than asking how they feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your Write me a Story Wiki is a great way to get your students involved and to keep them engaged. As you know engagement is so important to students academic success. I believe that your students will enjoy working together on this project. Looks like you are well on your way to a great online course.

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful idea! Children would be tired of reading and have to answer questions on tests or use critical thinking to make a summary of what they had read. I would also like to add that when I was in fourth grade, our reading teacher made us choose any book subject we want like scary stories, fictional stories, non-fictional stories, etc. After that, we had a book club meeting and talked about the book and/or movie that went with it. Every student gets extra credit for giving thoughts on the book as recommendationrfor others to read and spark intrests. We did book club meetings every Friday.I hope this sparks another idea!

    ReplyDelete